What a nice surprise that cauliflower could really turn out to taste like actual chicken wings! This recipe not only took my boyfriend and me by surprise, it spiced up our taste buds and made for the perfect appetizer before dinner!
- 1 small head cauliflower, stems chopped off, and cut into wing size pieces.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 dairy free milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegan breadcrumbs
- 3-4 tbsp pure 100% maple syrup
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 3 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Green onion, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Wash, and cut the cauliflower into wing size pieces, (I made mine more into a popcorn shrimp size as I prefer them a tad smaller) – make sure the stems are cut off and thrown out!
- Mix all of the wing sauce ingredients into a medium bowl EXCEPT the vegan breadcrumbs – keep those aside in a separate bowl.
- One at a time, dunk the cauliflower into the wing sauce – shaking off excess batter – and then into the breadcrumbs, and place onto the baking sheet. (see note)
- Repeat until completed and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the wings are baking, prepare the topping sauce by combining all of the ingred. in a small bowl.
- Once the cauliflower has baked for 20 minutes, take the baking tray out of the oven and apply the topping sauce using a pastry brush.
- Put the wings back in the over for 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and serve!
Note: Your fingers may get sticky and the breadcrumbs may stick as you dunk a new wing into the batter, to avoid this just simply dip your fingertips in water every now and then.